These days, it seems like there is a lot of noise in the media about the obesity epidemic that is affecting adults and children around the world. The main culprits are a lack of exercise and an unhealthy diet. Most adults simply don’t seem to have the time to prepare healthy meals anymore. Processed foods are faster and easier. Unfortunately, they are far less healthy. But it’s never too late to turn things around. Start by adding some of these weight-loss superfoods into your diet and you could see results.
1. Eggs. Most people think that you have to switch to egg-whites when you go on a diet, but in fact, research now shows that keeping the yolk is preferable. Eggs are packed with protein that is extremely filling. Studies have found that eating eggs in the morning keeps you satisfied so that you eat less throughout the day. And if you’re worried about high cholesterol, simply add some veggies to your omelet to counteract any potential harm to your heart. Tomatoes and spinach are two great options.
2. Spinach. Both low in calories and high in vitamins, antioxidants, and other nutrients, you simply can’t go wrong by adding spinach to your diet. It will fill you up, give you energy, improve digestion, and help to fight off cellular degeneration and diseases caused by free radicals. This is all good news, but you’ll be happy to hear that it can also be prepared in a variety of ways. So toss it in a salad or throw it in the blender with some fruit and soy milk to create a green-monster smoothie.
3. Steel-cut oats. These have the ability to keep you full for hours, mainly because they are packed with slow-burning carbohydrates. They also have a ton of fiber to keep your digestive tract functioning properly. Oats have been found to reduce LDL (bad) cholesterol along with the risk of cancer through phytochemicals and antioxidants like vitamin E. Steel-cut oats are preferable because they retain far more nutrients than rolled oats.
4. Wild salmon. Salmon is a great source of omega-3 fatty acids, which help to build muscle and decrease fat by improving insulin sensitivity. It also reduces inflammation and cell deterioration that can lead to arthritis, heart disease, diabetes, and cancer. But salmon is also high in vitamins B6, B12, and D as well as magnesium, niacin, and selenium, which increase metabolism, promote cell growth, enhance immune function, and reduce the risk of some cancers. The fact that it can slim down your waistline even as it improves your health is a great reason to add it to your diet.
5. Pomegranate seeds. There are several good reasons to add these seeds to your diet. For one thing, you can bring a small container when you feel like you want to graze on some M&Ms from the vending machine. They’ll satiate your sweet-tooth and your desire to munch. They’re also great in salads and smoothies. But even better is the fact that they’re high in disease-fighting antioxidants, folate, and fiber, as well as low in calories, making them ideal for both your diet and your overall health.
Aside from the difficulties involved with tending to your own health – like lack of time and limited availability of superfoods at your market – it can be extremely difficult to get kids on track with good nutrition. But by including some of these delicious superfoods in your diet and cutting out the salt, sugar, and other preservatives found in processed foods, you can definitely drop the pounds and get on track with the healthy lifestyle you deserve.